- "Stellenbosch is the heart of the South African wine industry, and has both amazing scenery, as well as a long proud history in the art of wine-making. We chose the site for our winery due to the quality of red wines that we feel these conditions can produce." - Ernie Els, international golf champion and winery owner
- "Stellenbosch: with its vibrant, social, scenic, culinary and cultural backdrop, sets the scene and context for a very memorable wine experience." - Frans Groenewald, artist
- "Forty years on and we are still the undisputed leader in wine tourism - a jewel of wines, landscapes and vineyards. I am proud to have been a founding member of the first and still the most famous wine route on the African continent. Happy birthday!" - Spatz Sperling, Delheim
- "The breathtaking natural beauty, the unique quality and richness of its terroir that is nowhere else to be found, that is Stellenbosch." - Strijdom van der Merwe, landscape artist
Wine Routes - where every bottle is an ambassador!
- Stellenbosch is
more than just a wine tourism destination; it is a way of life!
- "Stellenbosch, where wine is everybody's birthright." - Philip Kriel, Stellenbosch grape grower
- It might have taken 40 years, but Stellenbosch is not just only South Africa"s wine capital anymore, it is now also South Africa"s culinary hotspot
- From as early as 1685, education played a big role in Stellenbosch, which led to the founding of the Stellenbosch University, a world-renowned tertiary institution
- The Stellenbosch Wine Routes is a route for all seasons, a place where memories are made
- "Top 10 grape destinations where the wine is divine" - www.tripadvisor.com - 25 million monthly visitors
- With 152 wineries, each and every one is a reason to come and visit!|
- If there are
wine routes in heaven, they will look like Stellenbosch!
- "Stellenbosch was the birthplace of Pinotage in 1925, by Professor Perold - where else!" - Beyers Truter, owner and winemaker, Beyerskloof
- "1971 must have been an exceptional vintage, as it was the year the face of wine tourism changed forever in South Africa. Big thanks to three visionaries, who were way ahead of their time, making it easier for everyone to share the Stellenbosch magic." - Nicolette Waterford, former CEO of the SWR
- Besides its status as a leading cultural, education and leisure destination, it is wine that has made - and continues to make - Stellenbosch famous
- Stellenbosch, a
town where some of the oak trees are proclaimed national monuments and the
wines are considered national treasures!
- The annual
Stellenbosch Wine Festival is the oldest food and wine festival in the Cape,
and the largest regional wine festival under one roof. It brings visitors to
Stellenbosch during the quiet winter months, and is a celebration of the vine!
boasts more wine awards per capita than any other region in South Africa. Add
to that the heritage, history and natural beauty of the region, and you have a
- "We are proud of our long-standing relationship with Stellenbosch, a region renowned as a centre for fine wine, fine food and fine living." - Daniël Kriel, CEO, Sanlam Private Investments
- Sometimes size matters! Stellenbosch is South Africa's biggest wine route, offering the visitor an unrivalled wine and culinary experience
- Dorp Street has one of the longest rows of surviving old buildings in any major town in southern Africa, another reason to visit South Africa's favourite wine route!
- "Stellenbosch Wine Routes helps to facilitate the educational and social upliftment of farm and cellar workers, travel agents and hotel school students, towards the greater integration of the wine industry." - Ken Forrester, chairperson of the SWR
- The backbone of Stellenbosch is the majestic mountains surrounding it. They are the Helderberg, Stellenbosch Mountain, Jonkershoek Valley and Simonsberg, which is connected to Botmaskop and the rest of the Jonkershoek mountains by the saddle of Helshoogte
- "The Stellenbosch Wine Festival has a fantastic vibe, which portrays the South African spirit. I will be back!" - Sam Whitehead, California, USA
- When it comes
to the Stellenbosch Wine Routes, you do not really need 40 reasons, it is after
all the route for all seasons!
- "Stellenbosch is not only South Africa's wine capital, the town also boasts the world's oldest rugby club, Maties!" - Hempies du Toit, owner and winemaker, Annandale Wines
- The spectacular scenery, friendly people, fabulous food and rich history are all reasons why Stellenbosch is considered South Africa's most popular wine route
- "American Express Cards proudly celebrates the continued success of SA's premier wine tourism destination, Stellenbosch. - Pamela White, Head : Corporate Card Services
- Sundays on the
Stellenbosch Wine Routes is a family affair, there is something for everyone to
do seven days a week!
- The magnificent mountains and hills surrounding Stellenbosch offer unequalled opportunities for hiking, mountaineering, cycling, jogging and hang-gliding
- Stroll back in time with buildings dating back as far as the 1700's
- "Wine Region of the World nomination" - Wine Enthusiast Magazine, 2009
- With 126 tees in and around Stellenbosch, you can play golf at seven acclaimed golf courses in the area
- The games don't stop here - many wine farms offer activities such as bird watching, boules, carriage rides, fishing, game drives, horse riding, hiking trails and wine drives
farms and restaurants offer activities for children, making it possible to
- "From small, intimate weddings or renewal of vows with a few family members and friends, to full blown celebrations with over 100 international guests, the greater Stellenbosch area offers spectacular possibilities at unrivalled value." - Christina Holt, MD of Wedding Concepts
- "With more than 70 restaurants in Stellenbosch serving local wines, we are proudly Stellenbosch!" - Dawid Kriel, owner and chef, De Volkskombuis
- "The continued excellence of wines from the greater Stellenbosch region is flag bearers in themselves and continues to bring people from all four corners of the globe to the Stellenbosch Wine Routes." - Johann Krige, former chairperson of SWR, and owner of Kanonkop Wine Estate
- "Wine Town of the Year" - Munskänkarna, world's largest wine club, Sweden